Connect to Austin using Windows
- If you are off-campus, you must first sign into the Penn State VPN. Instructions for installing, configuring, and connecting to the VPN on your computer can be found in this ITS Knowledge Base article or this Help Article. (IT preinstalls the VPN on all Clearinghouse owned laptops.) Remember, any time you are connecting to Austin, you must first connect to the Penn State VPN.
- In Windows 7: Go to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Remote Desktop Connection.
Connecting to the Server:
- For the Computer name type: austin.militaryfamilies.psu.edu.
- Click connect.
- You may recieve a warning about "the identity of the remote computer". If so, check the box next to "Don't ask me again for connections to this computer" and click "Yes".
- You will now see a user agreement. Read the agreement. Click OK to accept and continue to the login screen.
- Login with your POP account username and password. Then click the arrow to the right of the password box or hit enter to continue.
Opening an Application:
- Find and click on the Windows icon in the bottom left corner of the screen to open the Start menu.
- Click on the down arrow in the bottom left corner. (You may need to move your mouse towards the corner for the arrow to appear.)
- Find and click on the desired Application from the list of installed Applications.
IMPORTANT: When you are finished on the Server, Log Off. Do NOT select "Disconnect" or just click the X in the floating blue bar at the top of the screen. Unless you log off, your session will remain active.
- Click on the Windows icon to open the Start menu.
- Click on your name in the top right corner and select "Sign out" from the drop-down.