A Penn State Sponsored Account can be used to allow someone who is not currently an active student or employee of the University to access protected resources. To learn more about what a Sponsored Account is and why you might need one, visit https://pennstate.service-now.com/sp?id=kb_article_view&sysparm_article=KB0011112.
Have the Sponsoree create a Penn State Limited Account if they do not have one already.
- The Sponsoree must go to https://accounts.psu.edu/ and click on "Create My Account".
- The Sponsoree must fill in the account creation form with their legal name, date of birth, email address, etc.
- The Sponsoree must tell you their new Penn State User ID (ex. abc123).
- Verify the sponsoree's identity by confirming the legal name, address, and other information on their Penn State account.
Fill out the Penn State Sponsored Account Form
- This form must be filled out by a faculty or full-time staff member. It cannot be filled out by SSRI IT.
- The sponsor (person who submits the form) accepts responsibility for the sponsored account.
- The sponsor agrees to verify the identity of the sponsoree, remove access when no longer needed, and renew access annually if necessary.
- Violations may include remediation costs, financial penalties, legal fees, or "appropriate disciplinary action, specifically including suspension or termination of access and/or network privileges". See https://policy.psu.edu/policies/ad96.
- Go to the Penn State Sponsored Account Form at https://pennstate.service-now.com/sp?id=sc_cat_item&sys_id=60b193e3dbca….
- Enter the sponsoree's Penn State ID (not your ID) and agree to the terms and responsibilities.
- New fields will display. Select "Request: Request a new sponsored account".
- Additional fields will display. Under "Email and Calendaring Services" select an option.
- No Services (Authentication Only) - Choose this if the user does not need email or Office 365 applications.
- Office 365 Outlook Online Only (Email and Calendaring) - Choose this if the user only needs Office 365 Outlook Web App in a web browser (not the desktop Outlook application) and does not need Office 365 applications (Word, SharePoint, Teams, etc.).
- Office 365 Full Suite ($7.49 / month) - Choose this option if the user needs access to Office 365 applications (Word, SharePoint, Teams, etc.). This is the only option with an associated charge.
- If you select this option, you will see additional fields asking for the sponsoree's role. Select Non-Student or Student.
- Enter an optional reference or reason (ex. project name, group, purpose) for the sponsored account that will display on billing statements.
- Select any desired PASS or web space or lab printing permissions.
- Set an expiration date for the sponsored account.
- If required, enter budget information.
- Scroll back up to the top and click on "Order" in the top right of the page. You must click Order to submit the form.
- After you click on "Order" the sponsoree immediately gains access to free Penn State services such as the VPN and PSU wireless.
- The sponsor will receive an email confirming the request is complete.
- If the sponsor requested services with an associated cost, the email will indicate that financial approval has been requested and the name of the approver.
- Once the paid services are approved, confirmations will be sent to both the sponsor and the sponsoree.