This is an introduction to the computer lab in Room 806 Oswald.
- Any PRI affiliate is eligible to have the keyless lock activated with their PSU ID.
- The Administrative Core Staff will be able to assist you.
Door Locking Policy
- Room 806 is under the supervision of the Computer Core Staff from 8:00 AM till 5:00 PM.
- The Computer Core staff will open and close the room at these times.
- Key holders are in charge of locking the room at all other times!
- Software available in the 806 lab.
Food and Drinks
- While not prohibited, please be careful with food and drinks.
- Please place drinks on the floor rather than on the tables, to avoid spilling into keyboards.
- You are encouraged to try to resolve printer problems yourself. The Computer Core staff is not always around or available during problems.
- When a printer jams, first take the printer offline.
- Next remove all obstructing paper from the feeder path and load the new paper properly.
- Form feed a couple pages through to test the paper feeding and align the print head a half-inch or so below the next perforation. Do not touch the print head, it can be extremely hot.
- Make sure all the covers are closed and guide trays replaced before turning the printer back online.
- If a printer is printing poorly or is out of paper, please see a Computer Core staff person to load new paper. (The paper closet is kept locked to keep paper from disappearing.)
- If the printer does not print, make sure the printer is on-line.
- There is a "select" or "online" light on the line printers that should be lit.
- For the laser printer, there is an amber "On Line" light.
- If the printer still does not print, please send e-mail to email@example.com and describe the problem. Be sure to tell exactly which printer is having problems.
- The lab is a public lab.
- If you are going to be away from the workstation you are logged into for more than an hour, log off.
- Locking your screen for more than an hour may result in you being forcibly logged off, especially if the lab is busy.
Priority of use
- PRI sponsored class
- Demography student use
- PRI research project use
- PRI visitors
- guest account use (non-demography students)